Leinster v Dragons Match Report

Newport Gwent Dragons went to the RDS Area with a double over Leinster under their belts, unfortunately they were unable to repeat history and lost out to the strong Irish squad.


The Men of Gwent lost out to Leinster who took away a bonus point victory, with the final scores ending on 37-13.

It was Leinster who opened up their account first after 12mins on the clock; with a penalty kick from Fergus McFadden. Jason Tovey levelled the scores with his own penalty kick but McFadden added another three points to the score board to put the home side in front. 

A 5m lineout from Hugh Gustafson found the Welsh Regions hands and they attacked the try line hard, but the Leinster defence stayed strong. That was until scrum-half Sarel Pretorius found a gap in the defence and sniped over the try line.

Tovey added the extras, which put the Dragons into the lead after 30mins. However it was the home side that added pressure when a Dragons knock-on gave them possession. Leinster made use of the ball as it went out wide to fullback Isa Nacewa who sprinted over the try line.

It was Nacewa who went over for his second try to make it 20-10 on the half time whistle.

Half Time: Leinster 20 – Dragons 10

It was Leinster’s McFadden who opened up the scoring in the second half, with a successful penalty kick. Only for Tovey to kick his own penalty making the scores 23-13.

Unfortunately for the Dragons the ball came loose and they failed to scoop it up before Leinster. It was wing Ringrose who was over the try line for the home team. But they weren’t finished there as from the restart they powered through the Dragons defence once again and it was fly-half Cathal Marsh went over.

The conversion made it 37-13 and Leinster won the bonus point.

Full Time: Leinster 37 – Dragons 13

Referee: Ian Davies (Wales)

Man of the Match: Cathal Marsh – Leinster

Attendance: 10,400

Stay Home Advice
Would you like to be part of our success? FIND OUT MORE
Headline Sponsor
Primary Partners