The Severn Bridge Anglo-Welsh derby is on! Dragons will face Bristol Bears in the quarter-finals of the European Challenge Cup in April.
Dean Ryan’s men booked a place in the last eight of the competition on Friday night after a 47-5 win over Enisei-STM secured runners-up in Pool 1 with 20 points.
After the completion of all the Round 6 games on Saturday, the make-up of the quarter-finals has now been revealed.
Dragons finish the pool stages as seventh seeds and will face undefeated second seeds Bristol Bears – who finished in top spot in Pool 4 with 26 points from six games after today’s away draw with Zebre.
We will make the trip over the bridge for what will be a highly-anticipated and huge derby with the Gallagher Premiership side on the weekend of April 3 to 5.
Full details of the quarter-final - including date, kick-off time and ticketing arrangements – will be announced in due course on dragonsrugby.wales.
The qualifiers for the 2019/20 Challenge Cup quarter-finals and their rankings at the conclusion of the pool stage are as follows:
- 1 RC Toulon (winner Pool 2 – 28 points)
- 2 Bristol Bears (winner Pool 4 – 26 points)
- 3 Bordeaux-Bègles (winner Pool 3 – 26 points)
- 4 Leicester Tigers (winner Pool 5 – 23 points)
- 5 Castres Olympique (winner Pool 1 – 23 points)
- 6 Edinburgh Rugby (best pool runner-up – 21 points)
- 7 Dragons (second best pool runner-up – 20 points)
- 8 Scarlets (third best pool runner-up – 19 points)
The quarter-final matches to be played on 3/4/5 April are as follows:
- QF 1: RC Toulon v Scarlets, Stade Félix Mayol
- QF 2: Leicester Tigers v Castres Olympique, Welford Road
- QF 3: Bordeaux-Bègles v Edinburgh Rugby, Stade Chaban-Delmas
- QF 4: Bristol Bears v Dragons, Ashton Gate Stadium