Dragons stun Glasgow with big win


Ashton Hewitt and Taine Basham grabbed second half tries as Dragons produced a sensational home display to shock Glasgow Warriors 18-5 in the Guinness PRO14.

In wet and windy conditions, two first half penalties from the deadly accurate Sam Davies gave Dragons a slender 6-0 lead at the break.

The home side exploded into life after the interval with back row Basham burrowing going over – to make it three tries in three games.

Wing Hewitt, who created the first score with a superb run, then grabbed a second after chasing a charge down to spark wild home celebrations.

Glasgow - last season's runners-up in the tournament - scored late on through Huw Jones, but it was no more than a consolation as Dragons emphatically tasted success on home soil for the first time this season.

Dragons made two changes to the starting line-up, with Ollie Griffiths returning at Number Eight and Jack Dixon back in midfield.

With Griffiths a constant threat at the breakdown – and later deservedly named man-of-the-match – it was the home side who went ahead in six minutes through Davies.

With a strong wind to their backs, Dragons were looking to keep the Warriors pinned back for long periods while the pack showed early grunt to shove a driving maul forward.

Wing Niko Matawalu showed his invention to spark a long-range Glasgow attack before the visitors wasted a first real chance to go to the corner when they kicked it dead.

Jordan Williams almost scored from nothing as he took a superb offload from Owen Jenkins and kicked ahead, only for the ball to go long as he slid forward to touch down.

Spilled ball on halfway saw Griffiths and Basham chase down possession while Davies threw a dummy and looked to exploit a gap on the greasy surface.

It was then Davies who boomed over a penalty from halfway, after sensational work at the breakdown by Griffiths, to ensure the home side took a 6-0 lead to the sheds.

Straight after the break the home side scored the game’s first try as Hewitt raced clear after crashing through tackles and, after being taken down just yards short, Basham picked up and bulldozed over.

Visiting fly half Thomson was then charged down by the marauding Griffiths and Davies hacked ahead as both sets of players converged to dot it down.

The TMO was called upon and adjudged the alert Hewitt had been first to the ball to score.

Glasgow started to empty the bench hunting a response, but Dragons continued to look threatening with Adam Warren charging through a gap before the ball was lost on the floor.

Brok Harris then won a huge scrum penalty to alleviate more pressure, with his name sung loud and proud from the terraces.

Dragons ran the clock down with some skill and although Jones crossed in injury time it was too little too late as Dean Ryan’s men secured a super scalp.


06m Davies p 3-0

35m Davies p 6-0

43m Basham t Davies c 13-0

48m Hewitt t 18-0

80m Jones t 18-5

Dragons: Jordan Williams, Owen Jenkins, Adam Warren, Jack Dixon (Morgan 77), Ashton Hewitt, Sam Davies (Robson 69), Rhodri Williams (Baldwin 76); Brok Harris (Reynolds 77), Richard Hibbard (Lawrence 78), Leon Brown (Fairbrother 60), Joe Davies, Matthew Screech, Huw Taylor, Taine Basham (Benjamin 56), Ollie Griffiths

Replacements: Rhys Lawrence, Josh Reynolds, Lloyd Fairbrother, Max Williams, James Benjamin, Luke Baldwin, Arwel Robson, Tyler Morgan

Glasgow Warriors: Glenn Bryce, Kyke Steyn, Nick Grigg, Stafford McDowall (Jones 64), Niko Matawalu, Brandon Thomson (Jackson 50), Nick Frisby (Dobie 68); Oli Kebble (Allan 68), Grant Stewart (Matthews 68), Adam Nicol (Rae 60), Rob Harley (Davidson 8), Kiran McDonald, Adam Ashe (Fusaro 8), Callum Gibbons, Matt Fagerson

Replacements: Johnny Matthews, Alax Allan, D’arcy Rae, Andrew Davidson, Chris Fusaro, Jamie Dobie, Huw Jones, Ruaridh Jackson.

Referee: George Clancy (IRFU, 117th competition game)

Attendance: 3,673

Stay Home Advice
Would you like to be part of our success? FIND OUT MORE
Headline Sponsor
Primary Partners