Dragons v Newcastle Falcons Match Report

Newport Gwent Dragons missed out on the win at Rodney Parade in the third round of the Anglo-Welsh Cup.

Katie Vizard | 29/01/2017


Following a pitch inspection from the referee, John Meredith, and both teams agreeing to go ahead the match was deemed playable and kick off took place at the correct time of 15:00. 

Despite the rain, the Men of Gwent began the match well with a lovely 40m penalty kick from the boot of wing Tom Prydie.

However, Newcastle Falcons forced their way over the whitewash not long after with a driving lineout try from their number 8 Mark Wilson. With a successful conversion kick from scrum-half Sonatane Taklulua.

The Dragons came back with a break from Sarel Pretorius, and with a penalty awarded to the home side they opt to kick to the corner. The Dragons drive hard towards the try line but the Newcastle pack are solid and drive the Dragons back. With another penalty going the Dragons way this time Prydie opts for the posts to take the scores to 7-6, to Newcastle.

Within a few minutes of the restart Newcastle were back inside the Dragons 22 and with the ball going out wide, a gap opened up int eh Dragons defence to see Belisario Agulla cross for their second try. The conversion was missed but Newcastle led 12-6.

Before half time Newcastle slotted another three points to lead 15-6.

Half Time: Newport Gwent Dragons 6 – Newcastle Falcons 15

The second half saw the rain come down harder and the conditions worsen, but even with a change of referee both teams were ready for the final 40minutes.

The visitors were dominant with them playing consistently in the Dragons 22, and a penalty kick awarded Takulua successful kicked to extend the lead to 18-6. There was another chance with Dragons Rynard Landman being yellow carded but this time they failed to convert. 

With the Dragons defending well they gain a penalty and Jones kicks to touch into the Newcastle 22, but with the rain continuing to fall and large puddles forming on the pitch the referee called the game off.

Final Scores: Newport Gwent Dragons 6 – Newcastle Falcons 18

Referee: John Meredith (RFU)

Attendance: 3746

Season Membership 21/22
Would you like to be part of our success? FIND OUT MORE
Headline Sponsor
Primary Partners