Ospreys v Dragons Match Report

Newport Gwent Dragons blew the competition away with a 51-35 win, as they took on the Ospreys at the Bridgend Ford Brewery Field, on Friday night.

The Dragons put in an outstanding performance as they racked up a point a minute in the first half, but the visitors managed to claw themselves back into contention in the second half with the final score settling on 51-35.



The Men of Gwent opened up the points scoring with a successful penalty kick from Geraint Rhys Jones, as the hosts were penalised for being off their feet at the breakdown. It wasn’t long after this when centre Ross Wardle crossed the try line – G R Jones adding the extras.


The visitors weren’t finished there, as just two minutes later the Dragons put a rolling maul into effect from 10m out – Lewis Evans, who made his 150th appearance, made it across the white wash with G R Jones once again adding the extras.


The rolling maul was a success once again for Newport Gwent Dragons, this time from 40m out – This time it was Jonathan Evans who scored with fullback Jones making it three from three.


 A penalty against the Ospreys pack at the scrum then allowed Jones to slot over a straightforward kick to stretch the lead to 27 points in as many minutes.


A yellow card for Ospreys lock Rory Thornton saw the Dragons take full advantage as Cory Hill scored a try from yet another rolling maul – G R Jones added the conversion.


Dragons scrumhalf Jonathan Evans touched down for his second try of the night and G R Jones converted as the referee blew the whistle for half time.


HALF-TIME: Ospreys 0 - Newport Gwent Dragons 41


The second half began in a similar way as the first had been played out, with the Dragons going forward, and they thought they had rumbled over from another lineout catch and drive just a couple of minutes in. However, they were held up over the line.


Hill went over for his second try of the night extending the Dragons lead, after the officials confirming that it wasn’t a knock-on, GR Jones added the extras.


The host’s eventually added points to score board after they scored not one but two consecutive tries – both being converted.


The Ospreys then went over the whitewash once again – this time it was Cai Griffiths as he crossed the try line with their third try in eight minutes. Davies converted the try taking the score to 21-48.


Two yellow cards for the Dragons didn’t help their game as Joe Davies and Dorian Jones were penalised in quick succession of each other. A penalty try was awarded with the Ospreys fly-half Davies converting.


With seven minutes left the Ospreys worked a try from a lineout on the right, Aisea Natoga scored his team’s fifth try of the game under the posts. Davies again added the extras.


FINAL SCORE: Ospreys 35 – Newport Gwent Dragons 51

Stay Home Advice
Would you like to be part of our success? FIND OUT MORE
Headline Sponsor
Primary Partners