Bedford Blues v Dragons PS Match Report

Newport Gwent Dragons Premiership Select opened their 2016/17 British and Irish Cup game with an exciting clash at Goldington Road against Bedford Blues.

The English outfit came out with the win against the Welsh Region however both teams earned bonus points with the Blues crossing for 6 tries and the Dragons PS crossing for four tries.

It was fly-half Arwel Robson who opened the Dragons PS account with two penalty kicks at goal putting the Welsh side into the lead after 4 minutes.

Bedford Blues scrum-half makes a break for the home side and an offload to George Perkins sees him cross for the first try of the afternoon, but the referee deems no try due to the wing dropping the ball over the line and the scores remain 6-0.

Continuous periods of pressure from the Dragons PS see them play some lovely expansive rugby however as they enter the oppositions half Tom Girrifths inercepts a pass and runs through to score a try, with the conversion from Myles Dorrian. Just 5 minutes after this the Bedford Blues are over for another try. This time a lineout from the Blues sees an offload to Tom Whiteley who slips through the defence and over, once again the try is converted.

However the Blues are penalised and Arwel Robson slots a penalty over the posts to narrow the deficit. 

Half Time: Bedford Blues 14 – Dragons PS 9

Dragons PS fly-half Arwel Robson crossed for his first try of the evening on the 43rd minute. This was thanks to some fantastic team work which saw him find space and dive under the posts. He converts his try which sees the Men of Gwent take a lea of 16-14. However, errors from the Dragons PS saw a penalty awarded to the Blues as Myles Dorrian slotted another penalty through the sticks.

Dragons PS continue their attack on the Bedford Blues defence only to spill the ball for the home side to collect and run he ball over the whitewash for a converted try. Sure enough the home side weren’t finished their as Sam James claimed a try, with Dorrian converting to make it 31-16.

The Dragons PS determination and patience paid off however when a well worked try saw Will-Talbot Davies cross, with Robson converting.

But the bonus point for the Blues came from Elliot Clements-Hill and the conversion from replacement fly-half Jake Sharp. Just a few minutes later the home side were over for yet another try this time from George Perkins thanks to a break from previous try scorer Clements-Hill.

With just 10 minutes left on the clock the Dragons PS went on the attack which saw Barney Nightingale slip through the defence and over for the try. With Bedford being reduced to 14-men, the Dragons PS made the most of the extra man and once again Barney Nightingale dotted down for the Welsh side. With the clock ticking over 80minutes a late penalty from Jake Sharp saw the Blues have the last word with the final whistle being blown.

Final Scores: Bedford Blues 46 – Dragons PS 33

Attendance: 2218

Season Membership 21/22
Would you like to be part of our success? FIND OUT MORE
Headline Sponsor
Primary Partners