Dragons v Stade Francais Match Report

Newport Gwent Dragons have successfully secured a home European Rugby Challenge Cup quarter-final in what was an outstanding display of rugby today.

Katie Vizard | 24/01/2015

The Men of Gwent did the double over Top 14 side Stade Francais and secured a fantastic win of 30-19, in their quest to gain that vital home quarter final tie at Rodney Parade.

The first half seemed to be a one sided affair as Tom Prydie’s boot forced the Dragons into the lead as he kicked six out of seven over the posts.

It was within the first two minutes wing Tom Prydie put the Dragons into the lead with a successful penalty kick. The home side then went on to score a fantastic try from a driving lineout, with Elliot Dee claiming the spoils and the try being converted. 

From then on out the Dragons took the points in order to make sure that their quest for success was rewarded as Prydie went on to kick another three penalties, creating a score of 16-0 after 20 minutes of play.

It wasn’t until the 30 minute marker when Stade looked like they were in with a chance, opting to kick to the corner rather than take the points.  And their gamble paid off as Chrisnan Inu crashed over the try line and Morne Steyn added the extras.

Prydie missed his fourth attempt at kicking a penalty but was soon rewarded with another two silly errors from Stade Francais before the break so that the Dragons finished the first half on 22-7. 

Half Time: Dragons 22 – Stade Francais 7

The vistors came out fighting in the second half as they tried a Dragons tactic as they attempted their own driving lineout. They were successful in their attempt and it was their hooker Zurabi Zvanhia who claimed the try.

It wasn’t until an hour had passed that the Dragons attempted another driving lineout to secure the win, this time it was replacement hooker T. Rhys Thomas who crossed for the Welsh region.

Ten minutes later Stade Francais crossed the white wash, narrowing the points deficit to 27 17, and with a conversion added to it there was still everything to play for.

But it was the Dragons who manged to extend their lead in the dying minutes as a successful penalty kick from Geraint Rhys Jones sealed their win of 30-19.

Newport Gwent Dragons Team: Geraint Rhys Jones, Tom Prydie, Tyler Morgan, Jack Dixon, Hallam Amos, Dorian Jones, Jonathan Evans; Phil Price, Elliot Dee, Brok Harris, James Thomas, Rynard Landman ©, Lewis Evans, Nic Cudd, Taulupe Faletau.

Stade Francais Team: Paul Williams, Titouan Cazedepats, Geoffrey Doumayrou ©, Chrisnan Inu, Digby Ioane, Morne  Steyn, Julien Dupuy; Romain Frou, Zurabi Zvanhia, Davit Kubriashvili, Paul Gabrillagues, Juan Cruz Guillemain, Mathieu Ugena, Mathieu De Giovanni, Nicolas Garrault.

Referee: Ian Davies (Eng)

Man of the Match: Tyler Morgan (Dragons)

Attendance: 5571


Stay Home Advice
Would you like to be part of our success? FIND OUT MORE
Headline Sponsor
Primary Partners